Friday 26 September 2014

Tony Stewart Comments on Sprint Car Racing, Kevin Ward Jr. in AP Interview

Tony Stewart's life revolves around racing. He's made no secret of that throughout his career, but the tragic race and events that resulted in the death of Kevin Ward Jr. on August 9 have altered the former NASCAR champion's thinking. 

Stewart is having reservations about whether to take part in another sprint car race again. In an interview with Jenna Fryer of The Associated Press, Stewart said he's not going to move back into his old racing routine:

I would say it's going to be a long time before you ever see me in a sprint car again, if ever. I don't have any desire at this moment to get back in a car. 

If I had the option to go right now to a race, I wouldn't. I don't even know when I'll go to a sprint car race again to watch. I can promise you it's going to be a long time before you ever see me back in one.

Even though sprint cup racing isn't as popular as NASCAR, nor is it as profitable for the drivers, Stewart talked about why he felt the need to return to that circuit after more than one year away after breaking his leg in a 2013 crash.

"It's hurt for 16 months to sit and be scrutinized for (leaving sprint car racing)," Stewart said, "and to try to give back to a sport that you love, and every time you turn around, you've got to constantly defend yourself for doing something and trying to support something that you believe in and care about."

Less than one month after returning to sprint car racing, the incident with Ward occurred and changed everything. 

Stewart received word this week that a grand jury was not going to charge him in Ward's death, via SportsCenter's official Twitter account:

Following that decision, Stewart released a statement that Fryer posted on Twitter in which he praised the work of the Ontario County District Attorney and Sheriff's Office during this process before bringing the focus back on Ward:

I respect everything the District Attorney and Sheriff’s Office did to thoroughly investigate this tragic accident. While the process was long and emotionally difficult, it allowed for all the facts of the accident to be identified and known. 

While much of the attention has been on me, it’s important to remember a young man lost his life. Kevin Ward Jr.'s family and friends will always be in my thoughts and prayers.

In Fryer's interview, she wrote that Stewart was advised by legal counsel not to describe what happened the night of Ward's death other than to say it "was 100 percent an accident." He also said that being unable to talk about it "keeps me from moving forward. It just stays there, hanging over my head."

Stewart was asked about what he would say if given the opportunity to meet with Ward's family at some point:

I would hope they understand — maybe they do, maybe they don't, maybe they never will — that I do care. I've tried to be respectful of their process of grieving and not push myself on them. I'm sure they have things that they want to know what happened and I think it's important for them at some point to hear it from my point.

Stewart took three weeks off from racing after the accident occurred, and he only returned for the last two NASCAR Sprint Cup races before the Chase for the Cup began. He didn't qualify for the Chase but will continue to race this season. 

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2211951-tony-stewart-comments-on-sprint-car-racing-kevin-ward-jr-in-ap-interview

auto sport medical rehab

No comments:

Post a Comment